Name: *
Email: *

Aupair Visa Rules for Australia


Australia does not have an official Au-pair visa program. However, applicants can work as an Au-pair in Australia with a Working Holiday Visa.

Working Holiday visa: (sub class 417 visa) 

The Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) is a temporary visa for young people who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year. It is a temporary visa that encourages cultural exchange and closer ties between Australia and eligible countries.

First Working Holiday visa: You must be outside Australia when you apply for your first Working Holiday visa and when the visa is decided.

Second Working Holiday visa: If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted. If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

Working in Australia – six months with one employer: You can generally only work six months with one employer. 


  • The applicant must be between the age of 18 and 30 and be a national of a participating country (see below) 
  • be outside Australia when you apply and, when your visa is granted and not have previously entered Australia on a Working Holiday (417) visa
  • not have previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday (462) visa
  • be applying no more than 12 months before you intend to travel to Australia
  • not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay in Australia
  • Not permitted to work for more than six month with any one employer. 
  • Be  of good character (no criminal record)
  • Applicants must be seeking to enter Austria primarily for a holiday as opposed to entering the country to work; permission to work is given to enable the applicant to supplement their travel funds through incidental employment.
  • You must have access to sufficient funds to support yourself for the initial stage of your holiday. Generally, AU$ 5,000 is considered sufficient. 
  • All applicants are required to meet health criteria. 
For more information, please contact

Participating countries

To apply for this visa, you must hold a valid passport from a country involved in the Working Holiday Program with Australia. Eligible countries are:



Republic of Cyprus






Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)

Republic of Ireland



Republic of Korea






United Kingdom.

For further details please visit the website for Australian Immigration service.

Please note that the visa rules given here by StudyAustralia EU  are meant for guidance purposes only and are not to be relied upon as they may have changed.

StudyAustralia EU cannot be held liable for this information and readers are strongly advised to seek additional advice from our main office or the proper channels in the country they wish to apply for.