Name: *
Email: *

Language Courses in Australia

English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)

English courses in Australia provide an excellent introduction to English studies for academic studies, business, or recreation.

The English language industry, or ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students), as it is commonly known, has developed in Australia over a period of about twenty years, and is now one of the best known in the world. English language centres in Australia which offer courses to overseas students vary enormously. There are many Elicos Australian English schools to choose from, ranging from the small privately run college with small group tuition, to the secondary school preparing students for high school studies, to large university or vocational education centres which will offer English in its own right or as a transition to any number of other tertiary or further training programs.

Australia also has a very high quality university and vocational education system, and students often come to Australia with plans for a full study program, with English language as the stepping stone to other courses. You could choose to do a General English course, or specialise by doing a course in English for business, graphic arts, the hospitality industry, academic studies, or post-graduate studies.

If you are interested in doing one of the internationally recognised English language examinations, many centres offer special courses in preparation for the Cambridge University examinations, IELTS or TOEFL. Your English college will help you to enrol for these examinations, or if you are unsure of your future study plans, advise you on further study options after your English course is complete.

For more information, please write to us at StudyAustralia EU <- click for e-mail

ELICOS Student Visa 570 Subclass

The ELICOS student visa subclass 570 allows international students to study English in Australia at an approved Australian English school. The ELICOS student visa is only for learning English.

The Australian Government operates an Overseas Student Program (OSP) that allows people who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents to study in Australia. Students wanting to study English in Australia on a student visa must be enrolled in a school that is a registered provider of ELICOS English language programs.

You can be granted a student visa only if you wish to undertake a registered course or part of a registered course on a full-time basis.A registered course is an education or training course offered by an Australian education provider which is registered with the Australian Government to offer courses to overseas students.

Can I work on an ELICOS Student Visa?
International students studying in Australia on an ELICOS student visa have the same work rights as other student visa holders. As at July 2010 ELICOS student visa holders are able to work 20 hour per week during term and unlimited hours in the semester breaks.

English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)

Cairns College of English (Cairns, Queensland)

EF International Language Centres (Brisbane, Queensland)

Language Studies International, Brisbane, Queensland

Langports(Brisbane and Surfers Paradise, Queensland)


Cambridge International College, Melbourne, Victoria

Western Australia

Cambridge International College, Perth, Western Australia

Perth International College of English (PICE), Perth, Western Australia